IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
EASTERN DISTRICT OF ARKANSAS
NATALIE PASDAR, et al.,
CV NO.: 4-09-CV-0008BSM
DECLARATION OF MILDRED FRENCH
I, Mildred French, declare as follows:
1. "My name is Mildred French. I am over the age of 21 and competent to give this declaration.
2. All of the information set forth herein is within my personal knowledge and is true and correct.
3. In 1982, I was a neighbor of Terry Hobbs in Hot Springs, Arkansas. I lived in a 2 story duplex next door to Terry Hobbs, his wife, and their child. On different occasions in the mornings I caught Terry standing outside looking at me in my window.
4. On one occasion I heard a baby crying and sounds that indicated to me that Terry Hobbs was beating his wife and/or his child. I ran next door to Terry's unit and
rang the outside bell to Terry Hobbs' residence. After a moment, Terry opened the door and asked me with disgust in his voice, "What do you want?" I told him that if he touched his wife or his baby again I would call the police.
5. A few months later, I had worked outside in my yard. I went inside my home to take a shower and get cleaned up. I specifically remember that I locked all of the screen doors when I came inside. I went upstairs and took a shower. While I was in the shower I did not hear anything unusual.
6. When I got out of the shower, I reached to put on my house coat, and at that moment, Terry Hobbs, who had broken in and somehow gotten upstairs into my bathroom, physically grabbed me from behind and grabbed my breast. I screamed at Terry loudly, "What are you doing in my house?" and screamed "GET OUT." I kept repeating, loudly, "GET OUT," and Terry hissed "Shhhhhh"at me. However, I kept yelling for Terry to get out, and ultimately Terry ran out of my home and ran downstairs into his unit. The bathroom window over my tub was partially open and my yelling could be heard outside. I recall a man was outside across the street working in his yard. I believe that Terry intended to further molest and/or harm me because his actions and demeanor indicated that was his goal, but I believe my continued yelling and screaming alarmed him and caused him to run off. At the time, I was afraid that Terry would rape, harm or even kill me.
7. I called the police to report Terry's break in and attack. I believe the police filed an incident report on the matter.
8. I also went that day to Terry's mother-in-law who lived nearby and told her all what Terry had done -- that he had broken into my home and had assaulted me in my bathroom. I told the mother-in-law that Terry was a very sick man and that he required counseling immediately. The mother-in-law told me that her family was not in favor of sending Terry to counseling. She was a member of some sort of Pentecostal church. I told her then that I would pursue the matter with the police.
9. That night, after I told my landlord about the attack, my landlord set up a meeting in which both Hobbs and I sat down face to face in front of the landlord. Terry's father-in-law was also there. I said to Terry, "tell them what you did to me." Terry said, "I didn't do nothing." After I articulated what Hobbs had done to me, Terry looked me square in the eye and said calmly, "It never happened." He was cool and collected as he told me it never happened. If you had not known for certain Terry was lying, you would not have been able to tell by his demeanor that he was lying. I was sickened and frightened by Terry's ability to deny his horrific and perverted actions and seem so calm in doing so. I looked at Terry and told him, "You are a liar and you are sick."
10. Terry looked back at me with cold, dead eyes and said, "Yeah, I'm sick."
11. The landlord kicked Terry and his family out of Terry's unit as a result of his attack.
12. I appeared in court to press charges against Terry Hobbs. Though I do not remember the specifics, I do recall that at the hearing Terry was ordered to go to counseling and the matter was resolved in that manner. I do not know if Terry went to counseling but he was supposed to go to counseling at a facility located on 7th Street in Hot Springs.
13. I believe Terry was in his early 20s at the time of these events. I recall that he was a quietly violent and scary man. I believe that Terry became angered because I had interfered in his ability to beat his wife and child at will, and attacked me as set forth above, by grabbing me while I was naked coming out of the shower, as a way to punish me for my actions and to intimidate me into not interfering in his domestic acts of violence in the future. I was astounded by Terry's violence, his willingness to break into my house in broad daylight, his perversion and evilness in coming into my home to attack me while I was naked in the bathroom, and his chilling ability to calmly lie about what he had done. I believed then that Terry was a violent, abusive, sick predator. I was happy when the landlord forced him to move out of his unit and I am grateful that I have not ever again crossed paths with Terry Hobbs. I recall these events even though it has been 27 years because it was so horrible and I was so terrified of Terry Hobbs.
I declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct and that this declaration was executed in Garland County, Arkansas.