Before the undersigned Notary Public, duly qualified and acting in and for said county and state, appeared Sharon Nelson, to me well known to be the affiant herein, who stated the following under oath:
1. My name is Sharon Nelson. I reside in Hernando, Mississippi. My date of birth is XX-XX, 1960. I know Terry Hobbs and his daughter, Amanda Hobbs because I dated Mr. Hobbs for a period of months, and because my son Andy Perkins and Amanda Hobbs were sweethearts. Amanda Hobbs and Andy, as my son is known to his friends and family, keep in frequent contact with each other to this day.
2. Prior to becoming friends with Terry and Amanda Hobbs, I had very little knowledge or information about the circumstances of Stevie Branch's death. Stevie Branch was Terry's step-son and Amanda's half-brother. I had not and have never viewed any of the documentaries or films that have been on TV or else where about Stevie Branch's murder. I have recently been made aware of a book titled Devil's Knot. I have not read that book or any portion of it.
3. During the time I dated Terry Hobbs, Amanda and I developed a very special relationship that endured beyond my relationship with her father. When Amanda needed help or consoling, she would at times turn to me for support. I was Amanda's confidant. I bought her clothes and fed her. I took her to and from her job at a Baskin-Robbins ice cream shop.
4. Whenever Stevie's name came up in conversations, Amanda would usually be the one to mention him. At such times, Terry would seem annoyed by it or bored with it. When Terry did talk about Stevie in group conversations, Terry would tell how much money the different film makers or what not had paid Terry to include him in their works. Terry would kind of just chuckle about it all. Months after our relationship ended, Terry told me all about how he had signed another deal with some film company and that he got enough money to buy a canary yellow pick up truck. Terry seemed very proud of that truck. Terry and I parted company on fairly good terms. I have not spoken to Terry for quite a few months. I hold no malice at all toward Terry.
5. I recall a few times that Terry did talk about Stevie when Terry and I were alone together. Terry told me that he discovered "the bodies" of the boys the night they were killed. He said that "the bodies were buried under water." Terry told me that they were dead when he found the bodies. Terry said that he saw some bites and there were some cut-like marks. He told me those "bodies" were nothing I would ever want to see, when I'd asked what they looked like when he found them. Terry told me he found "the bodies" before he picked up Pam, his ex-wife from her job that night. Terry said he waited to tell her and the police until it was time for Pam to get off work. Each of the times Terry discussed and described the events of the night of May 5, 1993, with me, he always said things the same way and in the same order. I never understood why Terry waited to tell anyone about finding them. I have just very recently learned that Terry never told the police or Pam that he found the bodies "buried under water," as he put it to me.
6. Before I found out that Terry never told anyone that he found the bodies, I felt I should tell someone about the fact that he found the bodies earlier than I understood Terry to have told everyone he found the bodies. I wondered how did he even know to go straight to Stevie's body. How did Terry know the bodies were "buried under water?" I did not know who to tell. I thought the police would think I was nutty or something. I did not know just how important it was.
7. I am in very poor health. I have congestive heart failure and colon cancer. I have five stents in my heart to alleviate blockages. Although my health is not good, I am of sound mind. My mind is very clear on all matters I have discussed in this declaration. I have not been threatened by anyone into making this statement. I have not been promised or given any reward or favor in exchange for making this statement. I have never met any of the three people convicted of murdering Stevie Branch and the other children. I have never communicated with any of the three convicted or their family members in any way. The first time I spoke with anyone associated with any one of the three convicted about the matters contained in my declaration was August 29, 2007.
I declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct.
Executed this 28 day of May, 2008
Sharon Nelson (signature)
I have read the foregoing statements and state that they are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge and belief.
Further the affiant sayeth naught.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I hereunto set my hand this 28 day of May, 2008